Chicago mayor signed an executive order to protect the population from a possible decision by the administration of US President Donald Trump to Publishing federal forces To the city.
Mayor Brandon Johnson announced on Saturday that he was signing the so -called Chicago Protection Initiative amid what he said was “reliable reports” that Chicago could see military activity by the federal government within days.
“It is not clear at this time how this will look exactly,” the mayor said at a press conference. “We may see the enforcement of military immigration. We may also see National Guard forces. Even in the active service we may see military and armed vehicles in our streets. “
Among other matters, law enforcement officers in Chicago do not cooperate with American military personnel in patrols or during enforcement enforcement activities, Johnson told reporters.
He described this step as “the most comprehensive campaign for any city in the country to protect ourselves from the threats and procedures for managing this control.”
Johnson’s announcement comes yet Trump said earlier this month He was considering whether the deployment of the National Guard forces from Washington, DC, would be expanded to other major cities across the country.
Trump Call the National Guard In what he said it was a batch of crime treatment in the American capital. Since then, the Republican leader has attributed the publication to a reduction in the city’s violence.
But Metropolitan police administration data showed a violent crime in Washington, DC, which was already in its lowest level in 30 years, and critics warned that the campaign may be a test for the broader military operation of American cities.
Earlier this week, the leader of the minority, the leader of the minority, the minority leader, the minority commander, said that interview With CNN, Trump had no “authority” to send federal forces to Chicago.
The US constitution gives the police force to the states.
JB Pritzker, Democratic Ruler in Illinois, where Chicago is rejected.
“Donald Trump is trying to manufacture a crisis, politicizing Americans who serve official uniforms, and continues to abuse his strength to pay attention to the pain caused by a working families,” Pritzker said in a statement.
Quoted by sources whose name is not revealed in this matter, CNN reported on Friday that the Trump administration is preparing to carry out the “main immigration enforcement process” in Chicago early next week.
According to CNN, White House officials said these plans are separate from Trump’s idea of sending the National Guard forces to Chicago to obtain a broader campaign on the crime.
The president, who took office in January for a second term, continued a Anti -immigration agenda He pledged to carry out the “largest deportation” in the history of the United States.
The administration justified its pushing by saying that it was deporting “criminals” in the United States illegally. She has The deals arrived With the presence of third countries to deal with asylum seekers and immigrants.

But American media reports in the past months have shown that many people have invaded immigration raids, including some American citizens and permanent residents who have no criminal records.
In June, Trump sent 4000 National Guard Forces to Los Angeles After an intense wave of arrests by the American immigration authorities, it prompted huge protests and confrontations between the demonstrators and the police.
On Saturday, White House spokesman Abigil Jackson criticized the CEO of the mayor of Chicago, saying in a statement shared by the American media that “eliminating the crime should not be a party issue.”
Jackson said: “If these Democrats focus on reforming the crime in their cities instead of carrying out the exciting propaganda of the president’s criticism, their societies will be safer,” Jackson said.
During his press conference, Johnson, the mayor, said he was still unclear whether Trump would spend his plans in the city.
Johnson said, “He can change his opinion, and he can reverse the path – in fact, encourage him to do so,” stressing that Chicago – the third largest city in the country – does not want to link its residents from the streets.
He added: “We do not want to see the families torn. We do not want to throw the grandmothers in the appearance of unlimited vehicles. We do not want to see the homeless Chicago who are harassed or disappeared by federal agents.”
https://www.aljazeera.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/08/epa_68b36d046f30-1756589316.jpg?resize=1920%2C1440
Source link