The ransom rose while Haiti struggled with large -scale gang violence, especially around the capital of Port or Prince.
Posted on August 29, 2025
Eight people, including an Irish missionary and a three -year -old, were released after a kidnapping in an orphanage in Haiti.
On Friday, the announcement ended for nearly a month of the group, which included Irish missionary Jenna Hirati, director of the program for people with special needs for children and adults in the orphanage in San Hallin.
“We warmly welcome the news that Gina and all the Haiti citizens who were captured on (August 3), including a young child, have been reported that they were safe and healthy,” said Ireland’s foreign minister Simon Harris. statement Posted on X.
The kidnappings and ransom became increasingly common in Haiti, where it was gangs Rise middle overlap Political, humanitarian and security crises.
The targeted orphanage in the southeast of the capital, Port or Prince, where the United Nations estimated the gangs control about 90 percent of the lands.
It is run by NOS NOS Petits Fars Et Soeurs, the orphanage is interested in more than 240 children, according to its website.
More details about the version were not immediately available. No group has demanded the responsibility of the school’s attack in early August, although the area is controlled by the VIV ANSANM gang union.
In a statement, the Hirati family said they were “comfortable with transcending words.”
They wrote: “We still keep my hometown in our hearts and hope for peace and safety for all who are affected by continuous armed violence and insecurity there.”
In April 2021, two French priests were among the 10 people who were kidnapped by a “400 Mozo” gang before they were released about three weeks later.
The gang lasted 17 American and Canadian missionaries Calculating from a bus after six months.
The launch of Friday came when the United Nations Security Council began talks to strengthen a disappointed international force In June 2024 To confront increased violence.
Less than 1,000 individuals, mostly Kenyans, are currently present in the country as part of the US -backed mission, which is less than 2,500 soldiers expected.
The proposal project, presented by the United States and Panama this week, is seeking to transfer the mission to the so -called “gang suppression force”.
This proposal will publish up to 5,500 individuals and establish a United Nations office in Port or Prince to provide “full logistical support” for training, fuel, medical services, land transport and drone control.
It also developed a plan to encourage more financing and voluntary resources, but the draft did not directly address the late support for the current task. Earlier this month, the United Nations said that its efforts to bring stability to Haiti were below 10 percent funded.
UN missions are still controversial in Haiti, as previous publishing operations led to the sexual assault and cholera scandal that killed more than 9,000 people.
However, the country’s leaders have requested external assistance with the high violence and displacement.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights said that at least 3,141 people were killed in Haiti in the first half of this year.
On Thursday, President of the United Nations Fund for Children (UNICEF) I mentioned 50 per cent of gang members and participants in the country were children.
https://www.aljazeera.com/wp-content/uploads/2025/08/AP25241636475946-1-1756501640.jpg?resize=1920%2C1440
Source link